Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

It's no secret that I love making muffins! I had the opportunity to bring a special snack into Madeline's class for her being Star of the Week. I asked her what she wanted me to bring in and muffins were what she suggested. I guess she's more like me than I thought! LOL! We settled on pumpkin oatmeal muffins. I figured they were somewhat healthy and the kids should like them especially since I threw in some chocolate chips.

I didn't get to see whether the kids ate them or not but one little girl told me that she didn't like oatmeal. Darn, I should have just said they were pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. I told her why doesn't she just try a bite and maybe she'll like them. :) I know kids are honest when it comes to food so I knew some wouldn't like them. Madeline told me some kids liked them while others didn't...oh well, at least my kid loved them and asked to make them again for daycare's Halloween party.


1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 cups old fashioned oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
15 oz can pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 cups skim milk
2/3 cup canola oil
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 muffin pans with liners. This recipe made 24 regular muffins and 36 mini muffins. You could easily cut the recipe in half if you don't want that many muffins. 

In a large bowl, combine both flours, baking soda, baking powder, spices, oats and both sugars until well combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, pumpkin, milk and oil. 

Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well combined. The batter will be thick. Fold in the chocolate chips. 

Divide batter into the muffin cups and bake for 15-18 minutes (regular muffins) or 8-10 minutes (mini muffins) or until the tops of the muffins bounce back when lightly touched. Cool slightly and enjoy while they're still warm. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those muffins look very inviting...yum!! I just wanted to thank you for participating in Veronica's fundraiser for myself. I look forward to your blogs and getting to know you. Thanks so much for your kindness :)