Friday, December 21, 2012

Rum-Glazed Roasted Pecans

I've been wanting to make some sort of glazed nut recipe for months now. My friend Meg was making glazed nuts the other day and said she thought of me while making them. After she was disappointed in her recipe, I decided to look around and see what type of glazed nut recipes I could find. I stumbled on this recipe for rum-glazed roasted pecans and since I had all the ingredients in my pantry, I gave it a shot.
 
They were simple to make and smelled amazing as they were roasting. Madeline was watching the syrup bubbles in the oven and amazed at how she could see the bubble and then it would pop. I'm so glad my new oven has a light and she can watch things cook. I was planning to wrap these as a gift for Cooper's physical therapist, but decided to keep them all our own. They were too good to pass up. The rum flavor isn't too strong, I used a clear rum since I was out of dark rum....I rarely drink liquor anymore, so our stock hasn't been replenished in awhile. I do think the rum flavor would be strong using dark rum and I think I'll use dark brown sugar next time I make them too.
 
So if you're looking for a quick treat to make, these pecans won't disappoint! I would double the recipe if you're planning to give them as a treat...don't forget to keep some for yourself!

 
 
 
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp rum
2 cups whole pecans
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
 
In a medium sauce pan, heat both sugars, salt and 2 tablespoons of rum over medium to medium-high heat until it boils. At this point, stir the mixtures until the syrup starts to turn clear and non-granular. I turned the heat down to medium-low so not to burn the syrup.
 
Pour in the pecans. The mixture will be thick but don't worry. Once the pecans are coated, carefully add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of run. The syrup with thin out at this point. Stir continuously until the syrup returns to a boil. Spoon the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet.
 
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the bubbling stops and the syrup appears hard. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool on the baking sheet. Break apart and store in a cool, dry place.
 


No comments: