Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Sausage Spinach Calzones

While looking through my stack of magazines I've been saving, I saw this recipe for calzones. I knew it was something I wanted to make and I'm so glad I did! It was a HUGE hit with everyone and they were gone in no time...Madeline ate two of them!

They're super easy to make on a weeknight especially when you're using premade pizza dough. I think the next time I make them, I'll make a double batch and freeze the leftovers so they can be reheated in the oven when we need a quick dinner.


2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
6 ozs sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
4 cups baby spinach
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 lb prepared whole wheat pizza dough

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside. 

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the sausage, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks until it is no longer pink. Once the sausage is cooked, add in the baby spinach, stir until it's wilted and cooked. Remove from the pan and place into a bowl.Stir in both cheeses and seasonings until well combined. 

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into 6 inch long and divide into five equal sized pieces. Roll out each piece into a small circle. Place 1/2 cup of the filling on a half of the dough circle and then fold over the other side. Crimp the edges with a fork and place on the prepared baking sheet. Continue this process until all five calzones have been made. Cut two or three slits into the top of the dough to allow steam to escape and brush the top of each one with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. 

Bake the calzones for 15 minutes until the dough turns golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before eating. 

Source: Eating Well Magazine

No comments: