Monday, July 14, 2014

Madeleines - The Secret Recipe Club

It's reveal day for The Secret Recipe Club! This month my assignment was Smells Like Brownies. When I saw the assignment email, I was so excited. I've been following Melissa's blog for awhile and always love everything that she posts, so I knew it would be a hard time picking a recipe. I knew I wanted to make a dessert, I mean how could I not especially with the name of Melissa's blog! She's a mommy to a toddler and I'm jealous that she has the time to spend working on complicated recipes during the week.

So after scouring Melissa's blog, I decided on a recipe for Madeleines. My sister-in-law bought me a Madeleine pan for Christmas a couple years ago but I hadn't used it yet, so it was about time! I knew this recipe would take a little time chilling in the fridge, so I made the batter one more before I started working. I work from home, so after I dropped Madeline and Cooper off at daycare, I whipped together the batter before I started working and then baked up the cookies after dinner that night. It worked out perfectly. I substituted lime for lemons - they didn't look that great in the store and I needed limes for another recipe. They were really good and I loved the texture of them. The lime was just what they needed and I can't wait to try them with lemon zest the next time I make Madeleines. 

1/2 cup sugar
zest of a lime
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup flour
3/4 tsp  baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, rub together the sugar and lime zest until the sugar is fragrant. Add the eggs and whisk on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until the mixture turns pale and thick. Beat in the vanilla extract. 

Gently fold in the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and then fold in the melted and cooled butter. Make sure the butter is fully incorporated, but take care not to overmix the batter. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the batter to keep a skin from forming. Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to 2 days. 

When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a madeleine pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon the batter evenly into the two indents. The batter will spread, so there's no need to spread it prior to baking. Bake for 11 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed on. Remove the cookies from the pan by gently tapping the edge of the pan on the counter. Serve the Madeleines at room temperature or slightly warm with a cup of coffee or tea.

   
   

No comments: