Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Blueberry Cheesecake Trifle

Is this summer flying by for anyone else? I can't believe its only two weeks until my daughter goes back to school, but she's ready to start second grade! I'm ready too!

Over the weekend, we went to our friend's house to hang out with some of our friends from college. It was great to back in that area and catch up with everyone. My husband volunteered me to make a dessert to bring and I knew immediately I wanted to make a trifle. They're great for parties because they make a lot and I wanted to use my trifle bowl. I searched around for different trifle recipes and then I saw this one from Mel's Kitchen Cafe! I had all the ingredients except for angel food cake. Win in my book!

It turned out really good and was a hit at the picnic! We had about half of it left over, so it was still good for a couple more days. It dried out a little, but I just poured a little milk on it was just as good as the first day.



12 oz frozen blueberries
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
boxed angel food cake, made according to instructions and completely cooled 
16 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 Tbsp powdered sugar

To make the blueberry filling, combine the blueberries, 2 tablespoons of sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, simmer for 5-7 minutes stirring often. Remove from heat and allow cool to room temperature. 

For the angel food cake, I made it in two loaf pans. I used 1 1/2 half of the loaves in the trifle to make sure it stayed moist and didn't try out. Cut the cake into bite sized pieces with a bread knife. For the cheesecake filling, add the cream cheese, milk and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Add in the cubed angel food cake and stir to coat all the pieces of cake. 

Whip together the heavy cream and powdered sugar with a mixer until peaks form. 

To assemble the trifle, place half of the cake pieces on the bottom of the bowl. Spread a layer of the blueberry filling and then top with half of the whipped cream. Repeat the layer one more time. Top with additional blueberries if you have any. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours. 


No comments: