Thursday, August 7, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies #FilltheCookieJar

It's time for the August edition of Fill the Cookie Jar! I love cookies and was so excited for this month's theme - Back to School/Kids Favorites. I polled my friends on Facebook to find out their kids favorites since my kids like any variety of cookie. The overwhelming comment was chocolate chip cookies...but I have already made several recipes and next up was oreos. That was a good idea! I love a good sandwich cookie and you can't beat the combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

These cookies are soft and not crisp like a traditional oreo. The peanut butter filling was AMAZING! I could have just eaten it right out of the bowl, but that probably would have not been good for my "diet." I didn't realize these cookies would be so big, and would make them half the size next time. I made them for a playdate my daughter was having and one cookie was too big for each of the girls...though one was perfect sized for me. :)


1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups flour
1 stick unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and both sugars. Add in the vanilla and egg until the mixture is smooth. Slowly add in the dry ingredients until combined. 

Scoop two tablespoon sized balls (or 1 tablespoon if you want smaller cookies) onto the prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they lose their glossy shine. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to completely cool.

Once the cookies are cooled, make the filling. 

1 stick unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tsp whole milk or heavy whipping cream

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and peanut butter. Add in the salt and slowly beat in the powdered sugar. Stir in the vanilla and 2 teaspoons of milk. Add another teaspoon of milk if the filling is not the consistency you want. Transfer the filling into large ziploc bag and cut one of the corners off. Pipe the filling onto half of the cookies. Place another cookie on top and press down softly to spread the filling out. There will be left over filling as the recipe makes a lot. I froze the remaining in an airtight container and plan to use it the next time I make zucchini muffins. 



No comments: