Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Cream of Zucchini Soup

Are your counters filled with zucchini like mine are? I planted one plant in my garden and its been producing all summer long...plus we've been getting a few zucchini from my in laws. While I love zucchini, it's been a little overwhelming this year. I've made muffins several times and have 12 quart sized bags frozen to use in the winter to make bread and muffins. I think one week we ate zucchini noodles or grilled zucchini every night. So needless to say, I was excited when I saw this recipe on Pinterest for a new way to use zucchini!

My kids refused to try the soup, but I'll work on them next time I make it. It's super simple, only a few ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to make. Plus, it goes great with crusty bread!


1/2 small onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium zucchini, cut into large chunks (leave the skin on)
1 qt reduced sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp sour cream
salt and pepper
shaved Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, combine the onion, garlic, zucchini, and broth. Bring the mixture to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Allow the soup to simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until the zucchini is fork-tender. Remove from the heat and puree using an immersion hand blender, Add in the 2 tablespoons of sour cream and then puree again. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Top with shaved pieces of Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil if desired. 

Source: Skinny Taste


No comments: