Sunday, October 26, 2014

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I've been on a little bit of a soup kick lately and here's my newest creation - Stuffed Pepper Soup. I picked a bunch of peppers and wanted to make stuffed peppers. Unfortunately, they were little peppers and wouldn't have been good for stuffing, so I decided to make a stuffed pepper soup instead. 

I threw this soup together and it was so good! It took way less time to make than stuffed peppers and I did it all in one pot, except for the rice. It's great for a quick dinner during the week. It made about 10-12 servings which was perfect for leftovers and lunches. I'm looking forward to making it again!


1 lb ground turkey
2-3 medium green peppers, seeded and cut into chunks
1 garlic clove, minced
28 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 qt chicken stock 
1/2 tsp oregano
salt 
fresh ground peppers
brown rice 

In a large pot, brown the meat and drain off any grease. I used ground turkey that was pretty lean, so I didn't have too much grease to drain. Add in the garlic clove, green peppers, tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until the peppers are tender. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to your taste and add in the oregano. 

While the soup is simmering, cook the brown rice according to the package. I made 4 servings for rice and it was the perfect amount I needed for the soup. To serve, place a spoonful of rice in the center of a bowl. Spoon the soup over top of it and serve to distribute the rice. Serve with a slice of crusty bread. 


No comments: